Hello all!
Some of you (most of you, probably) know that my summer plans for twenty-eleven include a mission trip to El Salvador.
I am currently on that mission trip. :) Huzzah!!
Our instructions were to be at the Word of Life campus in Hudson, Florida by Saturday, June 18th. In order to have a leg up on the rest of the group, I decided to fly in a day early. Or maybe that's just the way it worked out with booking flights in a convenient and affordable manner...I really can't be sure. Either way, my plane landed in Clearwater around five this afternoon, where I was met by a good friend--my escort back from the airport. We grabbed dinner at Chick-fil-a (a Christian trip should start with Christian food) and made it back to campus just in time for the dedication campfire.
This was a special thing for me to take in. :)
Those of you familiar with the way that Word of Life (hereafter referred to as WOL ;) ) runs their summer camps are no strangers to the campfire. Each week at the fire the campers gather and listen to a stirring sermon that ultimately gives them the a challenge to completely lay down their lives before the Lord. If the campers come forward at the end of this service and offer themselves to this challenge, they are given a stick. The campers then throw these sticks into the fire, symbolizing their commitment that it is time for them to throw off the old man and allow God's refining fire to form the new man. It is always moving.
Tonight's campfire service was especially touching for me, however. The youth gathered around this fire were not campers, but rather the counselors and volunteer workers for the camp. This dedication was to live this summer as unto the Lord. I watched many young men and women make their way forward and cast their sticks into the fire and couldn't help but get really excited for what God is going to do this summer.
It's exciting to see committed people living out their commitments. Whoosh.
Tomorrow I'll really be getting into the work that is involved with my short term mission team, and I'll be sure to give a detailed post about all of that. I will offer the information that I'll be serving as a Unit Leader for the girls on the team--a sort of counselor's counselor--and that assignment of service is coming as a total blessing for me. Please pray for me, that I will have many opportunities to pour into the lives of these young women over the next three weeks. Pray that God gives me wisdom, love, and the ability to glorify Him continually. I feel so inadequate when it comes to serving sometimes...
ach.
God has me here. He will use me. I am here for a purpose. Right right right.
:)
Oh, what's that you ask? You want to know how I'm doing with my support? Thanks for reminding me, I almost forgot. :) I have raised about fifty percent of my financial support. (Wahoo!!!) Several hundred dollars were raised through a garage sale last Saturday, and some more has come in from much-appreciated givers. The total cost of the trip is at about $2,300. If you feel led to give, please contact me at jmariebrondyke@gmail.com. I am so thankful for the support that has come in thus far, but am mindful that it's not all in yet. :)
Will post again tomorrow. Miss you if I'm not with you!
-jmarie
Friday, June 17, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



No comments:
Post a Comment